Waterways Transmission 5
Friday September 22nd 2017
7:00 pm—9:00 pm
I was into Rosie Lowe a lot at this time, her voice has some addictive qualities. Deep female vocals can, at times, have a way of suspending and holding your entire being in a place that’s difficult to define. There’s an aspect of feeling emotionally held.
Rosie’s energy set the stage for one of the themes of this mix–one that I’ve explored in the past and will continue to explore in the future–powerful female vocalists. Rosie Lowe, Natalie Mering (Weyes Blood), Charlotte Day Wilson, Andreya Triana, and the vocalist on 15 to 20 by The Phenomenal Handclap Band (either Juliet Swango or Monika Heidemann, I haven’t been able to sort out which one), and the German Su Kramer (no English Wikipedia page available) all represent a range of qualities from deep and heartfelt to sensual to fun.
The field recordings came from the Waterways standards:
- Deep Voices – Deep Breathing
- Deep Voices – Left over sea running
- Waterways – 19:51, bring in at beginning with low pass filter
The original recording of this mix is of poor quality, I don’t think I had the Zoom H6 at the time. I’ll plan to re-record it in the future. For now, explore the music as you see fit.
Feb 10, 2019
- Rosie Lowe, Me & Your Ghost (45rpm at -6 pitch)
- Charlotte Day Wilson, Work (bring in at high pass? try it out! … slow fade at end, low pass)
- Natural Numbers, Dub and Blind (quiet record, turn up gain and bring pitch down to -4)
- Bonobo, Eyesdown ft Andreya Triana (Floating Points Remix) at -2 pitch, side with map art on it, play to end but fade out, bring back in with rain from Waterways)
- Fujiya & Miyagi, Serotonin Rushes (45rpm -2 pitch, bring in with high pass, abrupt end is ok as long as birds come in at right time)
- Veronika Fischer & Band, Philodendron (Disco Deutschland, Side B, keep water playing in back for most of track, careful at end)
- The Phenomenal Handclap Band, 15 to 20 (45rpm, loud record - bring in as low pass slowly, back in to birds at end)
- Su Kramer, You've Got The Power (Disco Deutschland, Side A, fade into waterfall about 1 inch into solitudes 4, side A record, then goes into chirping birds perfect for washed out…
- Washed Out, Easy Does It
- Washed Out, Million Miles Away (fade into yelling wales, track fades out in nice natural way, just let it do its thing)
- Rosie Lowe, Right Thing
- Weyes Blood, Some Winters
- Songs of the Muskogee Creek Pt. 2, Side A, Track 1